Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Don't Believe Every Tutorial You Read!

Not even mine. Free advice is worth what you pay for it.

I had this tutorial about how to create and save a set of brushes. The directions said, "...pick a set of brushes that you are going to delete" as part of the instructions. That would be true if there were a limit to the number of sets you could have.

Nope. There is not a limited number of brush sets possible in Photoshop. You don't have to delete or re-name an existing set of brushes. You don't even have to append to an existing set unless you want to. When saving brushes in CS3, I can click on the brushes I want to save as a part of my new set and save only those brushes. So if I created three keepers and four fails, I can save just the keepers.

So! I've tossed out that tutorial. It was incomplete and incorrect.

FWIW, when loading brushes, it can be a hassle to find the exact set you want. Make sure to save your sets with descriptive names that make sense to you. It's OK to rename a downloaded .abr file to a more descriptive name. Renaming a file won't change the contents of the file. Make sure you don't change the file extension, though. Deleting it and typing it back in while you are changing the name is OK.

No comments: