Thursday, May 1, 2008

New Month, New Backup!

Each month, I try to do a backup around this time. I did mine last night. Did you do yours or are you going to be a horrible example/horror story? Don't tell yourself you'll do it later. Imagine losing all your addresses, photos, downloads, stored mail. Back up now or be sorry later.

I'm looking into on-line storage systems, where I can configure my machine(s) to save off-site on an automagic basis and I won't have to think about it, other than to do regular checks and tidy up files when I move them from place to place. I'm always trying to refine my file system and make things easy to find. I don't like digging through many layers of directories, but I also like the tree system, where sorting moves from general to specific in a logical pattern. I'm also old school, where you don't want a zillion directories all at the top level.

Never trust a person who can count to 255 on their fingers. Old networking joke.

No comments: