Friday, May 2, 2008

Truly a Challenge

I'm taking part in a scrapping challenge where I have been given a set of layouts, directions to cut paper to make those layouts and I may not substitute an embellishment for a piece of paper. For example one of the layouts has eight 1.5" squares of paper used in it. They are placed in two lines of three, and a set of two and sometimes they are placed on top of a strip of 2" wide paper. I'd like to replace some of the squares of paper with stamps of the same size.

Nope. I may not do this. I may stamp on top of those squares and put the paper in place, but I may not stamp instead of those squares of paper. I would be 'eliminating elements' and that's not allowed. If the plan calls for three squares in a row and I'm putting three visual squares of something in a row, aren't I including three design elements? I think I am, but the person judging the challenge says not.

All I can say is that I'm really glad that I own repositionable adhesive. After I have completed the layouts to meet the challenge specifications, I'm going to take them apart and re-do them so they have a bit more of my creative stamp to them. (Pun intended.)

And, since I need only use a majority of a specific brand of paper in my layouts (and it's great quality, but not cheap) I will use an inexpensive, off-brand of cardstock that I purchased in error in place of the expensive stuff so that when I remove it and throw it away, I won't be wasting the good stuff. If using eight 1.5" squares of off-brand paper constitutes a majority on a 12x12 two-page layout, I want to know who taught you math. Will the off-brand of paper match? Do I care? Will I stamp on the off-brand paper? Hah!

No comments: