Saturday, May 17, 2008

More DigiScrapping

At the crop last night, I did another laptop crop. I had a set of tutorials that I wanted to go through and try to learn more about managing effects. Unfortunately, the tutorials were on a more basic level than I expected, and I zipped through them without learning much except for where to find things in Photoshop Elements. I don't use Elements. I struck out on my own, with a goal of reproducing a layout based on a plan that I had gotten with a digital kit from Club Scrap.

Oh, dear. I know that everything should be 300 dpi, but other than that, I don't quite know if I should be irritated that elements were odd sizes or not. Most were large and I could squash or trim them down to the correct size, but I kept thinking that I shouldn't have to. If a digital kit is supposed to be a copy of a physical kit and there is a digital copy of a shaped eyelet that IRL is 5/8" tall, why would the digital copy be larger than 1"? I dunno. Paper elements varied in size by more than 1/8", when I expected them to be the same size. Some were smaller, some were larger. To make them match and be as close as possible to the size I wanted without distorting them, I had to cut the large one down to match the smaller one and have them both be too small.

I don't know if this is common, or uncommon. I don't know if it is an acceptable range of error. I haven't worked with a large number of digital kits. If it's just the way things are, I'll sigh, do my own corrections and keep working. If some kits are better than others, I'll seek out the better kits. I find it annoying to have to adjust the size of objects that I expect to match up with each other.

No comments: