Monday, May 5, 2008

Camera Thoughts

We got Wonderful Hubby a new point and shoot camera yesterday. I need to get him a new memory card, but other than that, he should be good to go. He doesn't care about features, he just wants a point and shoot. I want the right range of features so that if I have to set something, I can. I got my old Pentax cleaned and checked and it is in remarkably good shape for a 30 year old camera. I don't use it any more, but I want to keep it.

Talking with other photographers always makes me think about photography technique more. I'm not going for the Art Print, but I do like to have control over what my photos look like and how I take them. I was lucky enough to be born with an eye. My eye will compose a photograph and then it is a matter of knowing how to set the camera and the lens to capture the photograph that I have envisioned. I had to take classes to learn that part, but I didn't have to take classes to learn how to compose a photograph. I don't think I've ever composed a shot using the rule of thirds. If you look at photos I've taken, they might fit the rule of thirds, but I never plan it. I just take the photo that my eye tells me will be right.

No comments: