Thursday, March 3, 2011

PTotD

Tip #62. When I am trying to get something to print out at a particular size, I create a new file that will be exactly that size, or slightly larger. I create what I want. When I’m done, I save it. Perhaps it is 2 ½” by 3 5/8” Then, I create another new document that is the size of the paper I am using in my printer. Often that is 4” by 6”. I put my finished first file into the new second file, in the middle of the space, and I save the new file as a .jpg. Then I print out that 4” by 6” .jpg file. What I get is my art, the size that I want it to be, in the middle of a plain white background. All I have to do is trim away the plain white and I’ve got my 2 ½” by 3 5/8” image. Because the second, larger .jpg is the size of the paper I used, I don’t have any odd ‘adjust to fit’ nonsense going on. Many printers will try to up or down size an image, and will crop an image to make it fit the paper it is using. This process avoids that.

No comments: