Thursday, July 3, 2008

All This for Two People?

Wonderful Husband has a son, 19 years old and heading off to the USMC in a week or so. Hooyah! I have no children, but I'm the 'cool aunt' for two nieces and two nephews. Of the five possible, none live nearby. So how do we handle holidays? We celebrate them. We carve pumpkins, we shoot off fireworks, we put up a tree and I sing carols. Sometimes we have guests over and sometimes we don't. Sometimes we travel and sometimes we stay home. But we celebrate. Why not? Holidays are not only for children.

Holidays are also a lot of work. The extra cooking, the decorating, the planning and carrying out of those plans. I'm going to spend time putting up tiki torches in the hot afternoon sun, so we can enjoy them later, when it is dark and cooler. I'll drag out the umbrella for the deck, I have gone shopping and I'm thinking about making a cake. Wonderful Hubby has some errands he will need to run on his way home. Extra work, I tell you, extra work. But there's nothing quite like relaxing after a day celebrating and looking around at the time and effort you put in to create something a bit special, different and nice and realizing that all that extra work wasn't so bad.

No comments: