Friday, May 12, 2023

Downsizing and Decluttering

 These two words are a smoking gun for many people. Getting rid of things? Why? Because they serve no practical purpose, they carry emotional burdens through negative memories, or they are taking up space that is needed for things that will improve life. I no longer have the space to store things that are of little to no practical or positive value in my life. I have plenty of room for the good stuff. Not so much for things that hold less positive vibes. 

Some things are tools. Tools act on supplies. Knives cut, rulers measure, wrenches adjust.  Perhaps tools are duplicates, low quality beginner tools for a craft or hobby I tried and hated. Or they could be the starter set for a hobby I enjoy. But they are tools. It’s easy to decide about tools. Do I use them? Would I replace them if I lost them? Could I donate or sell them if I don’t keep them?

Other things are supplies, like paint, fabric, glue, or thread. Thread doesn’t keep for years, it ages and becomes brittle. Paint dries up. And, tastes change, along with fashions. Remember the age of the chevron? That fabric with the zig zag stripes isn’t going to make a fresh, cute pillow anytime soon. Many supplies have gone out the door. 

As a quilter, I am aware of the pressure to save every single itsy-bitsy scrap of fabric. That pressure is ridiculous, and in my opinion, unhealthy. If one person’s trash is another’s treasure, it is still trash to half of the people. It isn’t worth the time, energy, or space for me to save scraps. 

No comments: